1. Home
  2. Knowledge Base
  3. General Flying Questions
  4. Is my license is valid in other countries?

These international law questions get complex.  Here are the basics:

  • Unlike pilot certificates issued by a government body, most hang gliding and paragliding license are issued by private associations.  There are no standard rules, so you need to check with the country you will be going to.
  • In some countries, like the United States, there are no licensing requirements, so you can fly there.
  • In some countries, like Austria, you need to be separately licensed by their association, even if you have another license.
  • In some countries, like Germany, the answer varies depending on whether you are going there to visit or to work
  • You can get what is known as an IPPI card, issued by the local association.  The IPPI card is valid for acceptance in some countries.  You can see a country by country breakdown here:
  • And these rules keep changing


Was this article helpful?

Related Articles